This focused issue on “Pure Laparoscopic Donor Hepatectomy” is edited by Prof. Kwang-Woong Lee and Prof. Jeong-Moo Lee, Department of Surgery, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, South Korea.
Prof. Kwang-Woong Lee graduated from Seoul National University. He has been with Samsung Medical Center and National Cancer Center, Korea as a hepatic and transplant surgeon. He has also been in Johns Hopkins University Hospital as a LDLT consultant. He is an executive director of international health care center and a professor of department of surgery, Seoul National University, Korea. He performed the first successful hepatocyte transplantation in Korea when he was in Samsung Medical Center. His research topics are hepatocyte transplantation, gene delivery, cancer stem cell, best immunosuppressant for HCC, bile duct ischemia induced by warm ischemia, polymorphism and so on. He developed several innovative techniques to reduce biliary complications after liver transplantation such as high hilar dissection (HHD) and Tailored Telescopic Reconstruction (TTR) of bile duct.
Prof. Jeong-Moo Lee graduated from Seoul National University. He has been with Seoul National University Hospital, Korea as a liver transplant surgeon. He is now a clinical assistant professor of department of surgery, Seoul National University. His research topics are pure laparoscopic hepatectomy for donor and cirrhotic patients, prediction of optimal Immunosuppression level by machine leaning, No touch isolation technique for preventing HCC recurrence after liver transplantation, education for transplant surgeon and so on.
- Focused issue outline:
- History of laparoscopic hepatectomy in donor
- Graft selection for pure laparoscopic donor hepatectomy; Right or left
- Preoperative work-up for donor: main consideration for laparoscopic surgery
- New technical development for PLDH; ICG cholangiography & 3D laparoscopy
- Technical challenges of performing pure laparoscopic donor hepatectomy; Anatomic variation
- Glissonian approach for PLDH
- Various technique for bile duct division in pure laparoscopic donor hepatectomy
- Learning curve and pitfalls in HBP surgeon for PLDH
- Compare with open vs laparoscopic donor hepatectomy
- How to use energy device for pure laparoscopic donor hepatectomy